By Patricia Frye Walker MD DTM&H, Elizabeth Day Barnett MD
Immigrant drugs is the 1st complete advisor to taking good care of immigrant and refugee sufferer populations. Edited via of the best-known participants to the becoming canon of data approximately immigrant drugs, and written by means of a geographically varied selection of specialists, this publication synthesizes the main useful and clinically proper details and offers it in an easy-to-access structure. a useful source for front-line clinicians and different healthcare execs, public healthiness officers, and coverage makers, Immigrant drugs is destined to turn into the benchmark reference during this rising field.
- Features specialist assistance on facts assortment, felony, interpretive and social adjustment matters, in addition to top practices in taking care of immigrants that will help you expectantly deal with all elements of immigrant medicine.
- Includes targeted discussions on significant melancholy, publish aggravating tension disease, and matters concerning torture so that you can successfully diagnose and deal with universal psychiatric issues.
- Covers foreign and new-arrival screening and immunizations delivering you helpful advice.
- Presents a templated diseases/disorders part with discussions on tuberculosis, hepatitis B, and customary parasites that is helping you simply deal with the ailments and syndromes you will definitely encounter.
- Provides boxed beneficial properties and tables, differential diagnoses, and therapy algorithms that will help you take in details at a glance.
- Includes a CD containing multi-lingual wellbeing and fitness schooling sheets and hyperlinks to additional multi-lingual assets so that you can simply train your sufferers.
Read or Download Immigrant Medicine PDF
Best viral books
The table Encyclopedia of Microbiology goals to supply a cheap and prepared entry to a wide number of microbiological subject matters inside of one set of covers. this convenient desk-top reference brings jointly a very good number of paintings through the pinnacle scientists within the box. protecting issues starting from the fundamental technology of microbiology to the present "hot" subject matters within the box.
This is often nearly a distinctive publication (encyclopedia of infectious illnesses geared toward the proverbial 'intelligent layman'), and is unusually not easy to discover at the retail marketplace. every one illness access has an creation through sections on signs and diagnostic direction, treatments and outlook, and possibility components and preventive measures.
Infections of the lung make up an important share of the paintings of the respiration and infectious sickness health professional. Drawing at the illustrative assets of the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, this superbly provided atlas presents a visible method of the subject. Dr Hill has chosen more than a few picture pictures so one can permit the consumer to determine examples of either the infrequent and general manifestations of those issues.
Revisiting the pondering on vulnerability to HIV and hazard of an infection, this publication presents larger knowing via contemplating the danger of HIV an infection along notions of non-public and collective resilience, dignity and humiliation.
Extra resources for Immigrant Medicine
Patients’ attitudes toward healthcare providers collecting information about their race and ethnicity. J Gen Internal Med 2005; 20(10):895–900. 8. Regenstein M, Sickler D. Race, ethnicity and language of patients: hospital practices regarding collection of information to address disparities in healthcare. National Public Health and Hospital Institute, Washington; 2006. org March 2006. 9. National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health Care Final Report. Ofﬁce of Minority Health; 2001.
All-cause and cause-speciﬁc mortality of immigrants and native born in the United States. Am J Public Health 2001; 91(3):392–399. 4. Muennig P, Fahs M. Health status and hospital utilization among immigrants to New York City. Prevent Med 2002; 35:225–231. 5. Jasso G, Massey DS, Rosenzweig MR, et al. Immigrant health: selectivity and acculturation. In: Anderson NB, Bulatao RA, Cohen B, eds. Critical perspectives on racial and ethnic differences in health in late life. vol Panel on Race, ethnicity, and health in later life, National Research Council: National Academy Press; 2004.
Nearly 47 million Americans are uninsured and many immigrants are among them. Non-citizens are 7% of the population, but 21% of the uninsured. 1 Access to healthcare can be crucial to achieving full health. People who lack insurance are less likely to be offered screening and treatment of many kinds. They are also less likely to beneﬁt from medical advances, even common ones. 2 Differences in access to care between immigrants and non-immigrants exacerbate these and other health disparities. Leaving people uninsured is not cost-effective.